Monday, October 15, 2018

New Painting: Crashing Waves

"Crashing Waves", 10x10" mixed media on wood panel. Available. 

The plan was to be in Quebec this past week. We had decided on it after we got home in June, and I had booked the time off and started to make arrangements. But then I decided to change jobs. So, no trip. We had wanted to go, because apparently the Eastern Townships are incredibly beautiful when the leaves change colour. I've never been out there in the fall. But in my mind, I can take the autumn colours that I know and love, transpose it onto a spot where I have been, and almost see it.

There's something about this colour combination that just feels like autumn to me. It's that deep rusty red that does it. Mix it with teal and it makes the most beautiful greens. The temperatures have dropped here... finally... getting me into the mood for a fall painting.

I started this one much the same way I start most of my pieces; by just laying down paint and making marks. I had something that resembled a waterfall at one point. I could have stopped there, because it didn't look bad. Actually, it looked pretty good. Years ago, maybe I would have stopped there. But now I know better. I don't like to settle for  "pretty good" anymore. I will keep going until I really like it, no matter how long it takes.

Sometimes that means a small 10x10 painting can take months to finish. I'll work on it then put it away for a bit. If I don't know what to do with it anymore I'll stop, wait a few days or a week, then get it back out and carry on. Sometimes if it's just not working, I'll glaze it with some completely unexpected colour, and carry on from there, creating something that doesn't even remotely resemble what I started with. I'll go from dark to light and back to dark, sanding back the top layer to show some of what has happened underneath. It's a process I enjoy, and I feel like it makes my paintings more interesting than they would be if I just stopped at "pretty good".

The final touch for this piece was a hit of metallic bronze over some of the dark sections. It pulled it all together in a way that just made it feel complete.

I have people asking me all the time how I know when a painting is finished. It's weird I guess, but I just know. I look for certain things... are my shapes all different? Do I have light and dark areas? Do I have variation in my lights? Variation in my darks? Does it need something to make it better? Is there interest in all areas? Does it give me a distinctive feeling? I ask myself these questions continually when I'm working, not just at the end. It's when I'm saying yes more than no that I know it's almost done.

What process do you use? How do you know when a painting is finished?

_____________________________________________________________________________

I've decided to do another open studio this year! Mark December 2nd on your calendar. I'm still working out the plan, but I'm sure it will be fun. Like last year, I will have my entire inventory out and for sale. I will also have art calendars available featuring 12 of my abstract paintings. Watch my website for details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment