Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Boxed In: Project Entry Part 4

Canvas 3 in progress. Now that I've got all 3 going, I can make my decisions looking at the grouping and keep them unified.
With canvas #2 being somewhat close to completion, I figured I had to move on to canvas 3, and try to get it to a stage comparable to the first painting. This one is going to be a challenge... when I started it I thought it was going to be a mask image, so I experimented with some pouring medium to get some organic looking forms to work with. While I scrapped the mask idea, I had these raised shapes on the canvas that I was either going to have to work with, or sand off. Sanding was unappealing... I decided to leave them and see what I could do with it. 

Set of 3 images, taken when I
was just starting on this
canvas. 
I also have a lot of colour on this canvas. It was going to show through unless I used a really opaque paint, which is not something I usually do. I figured I'd just go with it, and if it bothered me I would just keep layering until it didn't. 

The obvious choice for a focal point was the big splotch in the top right. Dividing the canvas into thirds, it is in the exact right "golden" section. And because I want to keep the series light overall, that area was going to have to have some dark shapes to draw the eye. Running the shape off the side of the canvas is something I've started doing recently... I read something about how composing your image as if it is larger than your actual canvas improves the way the image flows. (I really don't know why I don't bookmark these blogs I stumble across... sometimes these ideas are so helpful, and I can't share because I can't for the life of me find the post again. I will try to keep better track in the future). 

This piece isn't even close to done. It will be at least one more session, possibly two. I like the interplay of forms in the focal point, the rest of the composition needs a fair bit of work. The cluster of forms on the bottom left is messy and doesn't really work, and the interference needs to be brought through the entire piece and not just isolated in one main area. I'll get back to this one when I figure out exactly what I want to do. Sometimes moving on to something else, and getting a fresh look in a couple days works wonders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment