Thursday, May 5, 2016

Boxed In: Project Entry part 2

One thing these pieces will have that my other movement pieces don't is a lot of texture. Since I started off using collage and thick paint, I figured I'd just go with it and got out the molding paste. The movement is built right into the substrate. That should make things interesting.
Wait... what day is it?

I'm going to be posting a little more often while I'm working on this project. My usual once a week works fine for the most part, but I don't really want these posts getting super long and boring, and I want to share every step. So I'm going to try for twice a week for the duration. I have to be done by the end of the month anyway, so I think I can manage that for a few weeks. 

Here's where I'm at:

I have numbered the backs of the canvases so I will always put them in the same order when I photograph them. Starting at the bottom, we have 1, 2, 3. Number 3 is going to be the most challenging, because I decided to try out that pouring medium that's been sitting on my studio shelf for the last few months. I've got these wonderful, organic forms, but I have no idea how I'm going to make those shapes work... yet.

Anyway, I set my erupting volcano video to play on my phone, while I tried to capture the forms on each canvas. Once this part is done I don't watch the video again... I have to work each canvas as it's own image without going back to my reference. I'm not trying to paint an erupting volcano, I just want to get the feel of something bursting from a contained area. Once I had my drawings done I stacked the canvases back up in order to take a photo... then decided the shapes had to join up. They might not join up in the end... I will decided direction right at the very end as I usually do, but for now, I want the shapes to create one continuous motion.

I decided to start off on canvas 1. I like it the least... there's an awkward darkish area right in the middle that is going to cause me a bit of an issue. I like that swoosh going across the bottom right corner, so I'm going to emphasize that area. That swoosh is a large brushstroke of silver paint. I think I'll try to leave that alone, and emphasize the edges by darkening the area around it. Of course every decision will affect every subsequent decision, but it's a place to start.

Here's where I'm at at the end of this session. I've flipped it over for a fresh view... I've got some really nice areas happening, but i need to develop it a bit more. I will start the other pieces before I get too much further, because I want them all to have the same feel. And maybe working on the next one will suggest what has to happen next on this one. Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment