Sunday, May 15, 2016

Boxed In: Project Entry Part 5

the join between canvas 1 and
 two really bothered me...
 I'm back to canvas 1. If you don't remember quite what it looked like, you can refresh your memory here. The image is at the bottom, but it's upside down. When I'm working abstractly, I will regularly flip the canvas around to get a different view. Sometimes it works better in a different direction. It's definitely a good way to check if the image is balanced.

Once I had that dark area blocked in, I saw I
needed to add some interest to the bottom section. 
Stacking up 1 and 2, I can see they don't really meet up any more. It's not too bad, but this area (left) really bothered me. Since I like the top one, and I don't like the bottom one, I decided this was the ideal place to start.

My three Boxed In canvases, all
still in progress. 
I still had that big blocky shape in the middle of my canvas. I don't like that too much, so I'm going to change it. Once that's done, I rework the rest of it to balance out that initial dark shape. It seems to lean heavily to the left here, so I added a few shapes to the bottom section to make it more interesting. I will have to do something to that section on the middle right... don't know what yet, but I can decide that as I go along.

By the time I'm done this session, I've really taken this canvas in a different direction. It looks really different... there are still a lot of areas I don't like, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to spend a few more hours working on this. Luckily the other two are in decent shape, so I have the time to rework this until I like it. I still have a couple weeks before I have to turn the canvases in to the gallery. Of course I have to allow time to finish the edges, apply a layer of varnish, and attach hardware and wire to the back. I can't leave it right to the deadline, or I may end up turning something in I'm not satisfied with. Not my style.