Monday, November 12, 2018

New Painting: Autumn Path

"Autumn Path", 18x18 in. Mixed Media on wood panel.

This is my last painting of this little "mini-series" of Autumn to Winter pieces. It's not my standard 10x10... its a bit bigger at 18x18". I have a few of these boards hanging around, so I figured I may as well use them. But since it's square, I'm going to include it as one of my 100.

I wasn't sure what was going to happen with this one when I started it. I was two sessions in when I realized it was a landscape. I think this one is an even more obvious landscape than some of the others I've done, but when I'm beginning a piece I try to keep my mind open, and look at it in all directions before I decide.

The foggy sky on the right was something I didn't want to obliterate as I went along. I liked the effect of the veil of white over the colour. Even my pencil scribbles show through. For a while there was no defined edge dividing the sky and the ground, but it didn't look quite right with the earth and sky blending together. Sometimes it works, but here it just didn't seem to. It was the hits of metallic at the end that seemed to pull it together. Up until then it seemed kind of ho-hum... I guess because there was such a large dark mass along the bottom and left. The bronze added the metallic effect, along with lightening the area up a bit to add variety.

I like that this piece feels very much like those grey autumn days, where the vibrant colour of the leaves contrast with the grey, misty quality of the sky. Much like how things have been around here for the past couple weeks. But seriously, stop raining already. We've all had quite enough.

My calendars are now online, for anyone who may be interested in ordering one. I got a great reaction to my advance subscriber link, so now that I'm sure anyone there who wants one has got it, I will make the link public for anyone else. Having an e-commerce site makes life so much easier... I remember when I did this in 2015 I had a spread sheet trying to keep track of orders and which ones I had shipped... it was a bit stressful as I was sure I'd miss something. Now it's all there on the website, and I can mark them shipped as I send them out, and it keeps track of how many I have left! Oh the wonders of technology!!

I've also set the date for my 2nd annual Open Studio show and sale. Mark December 2nd on your calendar! I will have most of my inventory at home (I have a few pieces still at Pixie Blue) and out for viewing. As an added bonus, both my sisters are coming out to help, and bringing a few of their creations with them. I will be posting some of their work next week on the blog. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment