Sunday, June 19, 2016

New Abstract Painting: Soul of the Siren

"Soul of the Siren", 6x6" mixed media on wood panel. Private Collection. 

It has been an incredibly busy couple weeks. But YAY!!! My mom has been successfully moved, it all went pretty smoothly, and she's settling into her new apartment. It will be a big change for her... she's been in a big house for many years, and no matter how comfortable her new digs are, it's still an apartment. One level, one bathroom, a small kitchen. it will be easier to keep clean, but it will take some getting used to. Luckily there is lots of family around. Having social contact will definitely help. The house was beautiful and peaceful, but really, really isolated. 

My son is also preparing to move house. He's going to be moving in to a house in Toronto with his friends... he'll be closer to school, will be able to practice more often with both the bands he's in, and will be able to try out the whole independence thing while still being a shortish trip home for a mom cooked meal. It's an exciting time for him.

Things are going to be a bit weird for me though... the past year I've had kids constantly in and out of my house. We have a somewhat soundproofed room in the basement, and Clairvoyant is a serious band and they practice constantly. I had always enjoyed having the kids around. It's been fun. The house is now going to be oddly quiet. I'm sure I will miss it. But hey, it might actually inspire me to invite MY friends over. It's certainly been a while. 

This painting I finished up a bit before all the mayhem. As you can imagine, I haven't had a whole lot of time to paint in the last couple weeks... I'm getting a bit antsy to get back to it. I've committed to a habit of daily creativity, and I've actually done nothing in the past week. Nothing. I do have a couple projects that I will be getting to later today. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands dirty. This little cradleboard has been sitting on a shelf in my studio for over a year. It started as a collage that didn't work, was covered with paint for a bird painting that didn't work, covered with an abstract that didn't work. As a result, there is so much texture and colour that it didn't really need a lot to create something that did work. I just needed to know what I was looking for. I am going to give this little piece to my son when he moves. It will be his first piece of original art (that he didn't do himself). He has always been surrounded by it and I'm sure he will miss it. And if I'm lucky his friends will be ok with my using their walls as storage space and I can get some of this stuff out of my closets. If I'm lucky. 

******************************************************************

I know I was going to post a video of the Boxed In opening. Didn't forget, I've just been busy. I actually arrived late and so didn't get my wifi set up in time to go live, and the place was so packed I couldn't get close enough to do a decent walk-around. I do have a bit of video that is uploading to youtube as I write this. I will post it here mid-week. See you then. 


No comments:

Post a Comment