Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ongoing...

Continuing on with my theme of quietness from last week, here are a couple more completed experiments. They are small... only 8x8". Working small has it's advantages. It's fairly quick to get something completed, and if it goes horribly awry it isn't a big deal. Just add another layer of paint and keep going....

"Stillness",   8x8" Acrylic on Canvas

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've got a 30x40" canvas on my easel that is a great big mess and I just can't seem to get it to work. Sigh. I'm pretty sure I'm just over-thinking it... I do tend to do that, particularly with the abstract work. With representational stuff I'm pretty confident in my methods, but not so much with this type of piece. I see that as a good thing... stretching and learning and all that... but it can on occasion be pretty frustrating. I'm thinking I'll just set it aside for a few weeks and move on with my Jazz Legends series. 

"Rooted", 8x8" Acrylic on Canvas.
I had been working on this the other way around, with my "roots" being trees. I think it looks much better this way. 

I have a 5 day workshop scheduled in August with Steve Rose... I am SO looking forward to it. I'm sure I will come away from that with a load of new ideas. I haven't done an intensive workshop since Artfest in 2012, and that one forever changed the way I work. This is a much smaller group, and much closer to home. It will be different, but I'm sure it will be wonderful. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment