Sunday, May 11, 2014

Wired


The photo I started with... Not even
close to what I ended up with 
So, I figured since I posted all my drawings last week I should go ahead and post my wire "portrait", no matter how it turned out... after all, the whole point of taking a class is to try something I'd never done before. It was interesting figuring out how to bend the wire into the correct shapes (or close, anyway), how to make the connections, what to do with the ends... overall an interesting project. I couldn't manage to make it 3d like some of the other people in the class, but it did seem to take on a life of it's own at one point. I had no intention of making it this big, but I started with an eye and had to keep everything else to scale. It's about 20 inches. And a bit unwieldy.


Here I have a close up of one area so you can get an idea of how the connections look. I've clipped it here to a piece of black mat board, so it shows up better. I may go ahead and mount it to something... not quite sure what. I'll let it stew for a bit and see what I can come up with. 

I have to say I was very impressed with the finished projects in the class. All of them were completely original and showed a lot of willingness to take risks. I think the credit for that has to go to the instructor, Kim Lee Kho. Most of these people have taken classes with her before, and I was assured at the start that this was a judgement free zone. All artists need that from time to time. No matter how useful a good critique can be, sometimes it is just not required.


No comments:

Post a Comment