Saturday, August 18, 2012

In-between Days

I'm having a bit of an off week. I've got a couple paintings that aren't really working for me and I'm feeling a bit out of sorts. I suppose not every painting session can be successful, but more than two in a row and it throws me off (and I'm sure that having a house full of teenagers playing really loud electric guitars had nothing at all to do with it). What to do? I decided to take a couple days off and focus on something else. I'll get back to the musicians when I get back to feeling like myself.

Alone
11x14" Acrylic on canvas
I've been working on a couple of other projects... thought since I didn't have any other completed paintings to post I'd share one of those.

I suppose this one goes with my other "bird" pieces, even though it's quite different. I was planning on doing a musician when I started, but instead of my usual upbeat jazz I put on classical guitar (Julian Bream). It still amazes me how much my choice of music influences the feeling of the finished painting. I was pleased with how this turned out, so I've started a couple other small canvases to classical pieces. Haven't finished anything else yet, but I've taken to writing down what i was listening to on the back of the stretcher bar. I know that once I get a bunch going I won't be able to remember, and I don't want to change the outcome by switching the music.

As much as this intrigues me, this isn't the time for me to get sidetracked. I'm taking part in a group show at the Art Gallery of Lambeth in September, and have about 3 weeks to get everything finished up. I've got two paintings left, one of which is much larger that what I usually do.  I can get it finished if I don't get distracted... and maybe if I can get the kids to go practice at someone else's house.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely, Marianne. Even if it wasn't what you planned on doing. I like the idea of recording what you were listening to while you worked. I find I'll listen to podcasts while I'm working, but I don't "hear" them most of the time. I should get back into listening to music while I work, since I think it suits me better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Writing your musical influence on the back is a great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together for the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow -- this is from an "off" time?! Love it. So beautiful. And I hear you about music -- totally influences me, not always in a productive, positive way..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful see see how the music translates. Your artwork is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete