Sunday, March 23, 2014

Arts On The Credit: preparations continue


When I dropped off my painting at the Waterside Inn last week, it occurred to me that this was an event I was going to have to dress up for. For those who don't know me personally, I am not really that kind of person. In fact, my idea of dressing up is putting on my "good" jeans, and finding a t-shirt that doesn't have paint on it. Thinking about what I was going to wear to this thing had put me in a bit of a panic. I've had to dress for openings before, but this was going to be a little different. I wanted to do something that would fit... something that would give my space the atmosphere I spend so much time trying to create in my paintings. So I spent Saturday afternoon this week scouring my local thrift stores, searching for some vintage-looking accessories. I had a few great finds... like these shoes reminiscent of the 20s. They actually have a splash of red paint on one heel... probably why they were abandoned by their owner. I almost laughed out loud when I saw it... obviously they were meant for me, since nothing I own lacks a little paint.

"Trio" in the lobby of the Waterside Inn, Port Credit
Preparations for Arts on the Credit continue. I've matted all my little studies and experiments, and even framed a couple. I've retrieved a bunch of work from the gallery in London, and I'm off to St. Catherine's next weekend to pick up the stuff I have there. A friend has my display racks, so I have to fit in a trip there at some point as well. I've got most of my new work varnished, and only have a few left that require hanging hardware. All this stuff could probably have been done in a week if I didn't have a day job, but since I do I've just had to fit it in where I could find the time. I still have stuff to do.... I'm hoping I can find a few hours over the next couple weeks to actually put brush to canvas. Not likely, but I can dream...

For those in the Toronto area, the weekend before AOTC, Sunday April 6th,  I'm at the Lakeshore Yacht Club again for their annual charity art show. It's a bit different this year.... Instead of doing the auction, the artists are donating 15% of all sales to the Toronto Humane Society. I won't have as much work there as I have a much smaller space to fill, but I'll have some of my smaller pieces there for sale. If you are interested in attending, contact the club for details.


No comments:

Post a Comment