Sunday, July 3, 2016

When feeling intimidated, just forge ahead.

Screen shot of my webstie, mariannemorrisart.com
Screen shot of my new website. Finally. 

Technology is the bane of my existence. I work in a technology heavy field. Every day, Monday to Friday, I deal with computer related issues. Stuff doesn't work, fonts won't load, computers crash, software doesn't quite live up to the demands of the job... anyone who works on a computer day after day will understand exactly how frustrating it can be.

For the last year, my website has needed to be updated. Ok, maybe the last two years. I put it together, uploaded it, and promptly ignored the damn thing from that day forward. It was not my first website by a long shot. My first one was on "Geocities". Anyone remember that one? Yes, I am that old. The next one I actually HAND CODED. In notepad. Talk about tedious. Then one done in Go Live. The most recent one was in Dreamweaver. Software that I only had because it came in the Adobe bundle I bought for work. It was clunky and unintuitive, and didn't really work like any of the other Adobe software that I use daily. But I struggled with it, figured it out, and got up a reasonably decent looking site. Good enough. (I'm sure the software has improved, since it still exists and presumably still sells).

I know I need to update my website. I have an entire body of work that isn't properly represented. I post stuff here, but then when someone goes from my Facebook page, which is primarily abstracts, to my website, which does not have one single abstract piece on it, they think they've got the wrong person. I know this, and yet I still procrastinate. Why?? Because in order to do my redesign, I have to learn new software. And I'm bloody tired, and just don't want to. I don't. Really.

So...

I decided last week that the time was now, and no matter how intimidated I was with having to learn yet another software program, I was just going to forge ahead and DO IT. And you know what? It was really easy. Holy cow, has web software come a long way in the past few years. It was so simple that I have gotten the majority of my site up and running already. Amazing.

Go check out my new site here, at mariannemorrisart.com. And please, if you see any spelling mistakes or typos, please let me know so I can fix it. Proofreading isn't necessarily my strong suit.


Now comes the time for the blog transition. I'll post for the month of July in both places, but come August I will only be posting on my website. If you subscribe by email, you have the option of signing up at the new site... I won't be transferring my subscriber list over. If I can figure out how to do the MailChimp integration, I will start sending out my blog posts to my newsletter list, but that might take me a little while. One thing at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment