Sunday, February 2, 2014

Enough wallowing... back to work.

I allowed myself a week to wallow. It was a pretty miserable week. But I know myself well enough to know that I can't let it go on much longer than that, for fear of sinking into some kind of black hole I can't manage to pull myself out of. It's happened before, and believe me, it is not a place I ever want to go again.

So... on Monday, after a miserable day at work, I made myself a cup of tea and headed into my studio, took 3 brand new canvases out of their wrappers and got myself back to work.

Works in progress.
I really didn't have a clue what I was going to do with these when I started. I had a vague idea of doing some kind of triptych. Once I got some paint on there the blanks filled in a little... I could see something starting. I flipped through my file of reference photos. Found what I was looking for. Yep, I could make that work.

I love it when things come together like that. It doesn't always work that way. Sometimes I have an idea before i start, sometimes I've done something at a small size that I want to enlarge, sometimes I never see anything, the canvases get ugly and they go in my reject pile until I can figure out what to do with them. It doesn't really matter though, as the mere act of pushing the paint around makes me feel so much better, it's like all the exhaustion drains from my body. I imagine everyone has something that makes them feel that way. I hope so anyway.

I managed to work every evening this week, and I've got one canvas finished and a second well under way. I'm still not sure about the third... I don't know if I can make it work with the other two or it needs to be something different. I will figure it out... but like all things, it just takes time.

The World is Quiet Here: 1
12x24" Acrylic on Canvas



No comments:

Post a Comment