Monday, October 29, 2018

New Painting: A Glimpse of Winter

"A Glimpse of Winter", 10x10" mixed media on wood panel. Available. 
It's chilly outside. Not -40°C cold, like it sometimes gets in February, but it's getting near zero at night and we've had a couple days where it's not much warmer. With cooler temperatures I feel like I need to add some cooler colours into my palette, and bring those warm Autumn hues a little closer to winter.

I'm not a huge fan of winter. Strange for someone living in Canada, I know. I hate being cold. I don't like the dreary days of freezing rain. I don't like that it's dark when I leave for work and dark again shortly after I get home. I don't mind those bitterly cold days where the sun shines brightly... as long as I only have to see it from inside my climate controlled home.

I do, however seem to be particularly prolific in the winter. It probably has to do with hockey... my husband is an avid fan and spends many evenings in front of the tv watching his favourite teams. Me... not so much. I'd rather hang out in my studio with some music playing, or listening to an interesting podcast. I've found a few I really like and am looking forward to the next set of new episodes (any suggestions? put them in the comments. I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to!). Its not that I don't like hockey, but I don't like it enough to really follow it. A live game can be entertaining on occasion, but on tv it doesn't do much for me.

Anyway....

I know that what is going on outside affects what ends up in my paintings. I can't help it. Maybe if I had something else to do besides work and paint (and housework and the endless chores that go along with living) that would also show up in my work. I read Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way" many, many years ago. She has a chapter about "filling the well" and going on "artist dates". I wonder sometimes if I spend enough time taking care of that part of my life. If my daily walks outside are the only other thing I do, that could be why the weather seems to take up so much space in my subconscious.

When I have a day to myself, which is rare, I do those chores that I tend to put off. Sorting through closets and scrubbing out the fridge come to mind. I have a list. Right now the thing I've put off until it's almost too late to do it is dividing my perennials. I don't even have many that need it, but I really, really don't want to. I'm fine with gardening when it's lovely outside, but it's wet and dreary now. Yuck.

What I should do is make a list of things to do outside the little bubble of my home. But to be honest, I think I've forgotten what kinds of things I like to do. And my tastes have changed... I used to love seeing live music, but now it just seems way too loud, and too late, and other than seeing my son play live I just can't be bothered. I enjoy it on the odd occasion when I actually get myself out of the house, but that might be once a year. Even going to a theatre to see a movie seems like too much trouble when I can see one on Netflix in the comfort of my own living room. At a reasonable volume (why does everything have to be so damn loud?).

So.... what do I do about that?

I think maybe I'm just in a bit of a rut. I need to get out and do some new and different things. Not sure where to start but I'll figure it out. And if you have any suggestions, it would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment