Sunday, May 18, 2014

Horizon Lines

Horizon Lines
12x24" Acrylic on Canvas
I had started working on this canvas a few months ago but the painting I had planned just wasn't working. It happens fairly regularly, so I put it away and moved on to something else, figuring I'd try again later. I ended up doing something completely different on it, but you can still see remnants of the previous layers showing through. I've only got a couple areas of really opaque paint... these areas were getting too dark, so I went over them with a thick layer of a tinted white.

When I was working on this, I really tried to keep my colours less saturated and the painting as a whole lighter in value. When I look around my house at the stuff hanging on the walls, everything is so dark. I love the richness of deep colour, but staying in a lighter value range gives the piece a different mood. I've hung this up on the wall and will live with it for a bit, and see what i can do to make the next one better.

No comments:

Post a Comment