Sunday, April 27, 2014

Art in the City

The band was taking a break...  
A few weeks ago I was contacted by Toronto artist Kristen Hamilton, who had seen my work on Twitter, and she invited me to participate in a charity art show/music event at a church in the Davisville area of the city. The concept sounded interesting, the charity was certainly worthwhile (SKETCH... a non-profit whose mandate is to help create opportunities for young people living on the margins to create, collaborate and lead), and it would get new eyes on my work, so of course I said yes.

I have never participated in an art event at a church. In fact, I've never been to or heard about art events being held in church, at least in Canada. I know they do that kind of thing in Europe, and there are a few churches in Toronto that have will have concerts. The acoustics in this church were amazing, and the organizers made some adjustments to the lighting so the art looked wonderful. They had wine and cheese, the band was great, and lots of people showed up. It was a great event and I'm happy to have been included. 

My paintings, interspersed with Kristen's, along one wall of the church.
Me, checking out some of the other art. I believe these
ones were done by Gene Tempelmeyer. And looking at this
photo... man, I really need a haircut.


The paintings were hung between these fantastic stained glass windows. Unfortunately by the time we got there it was already too dark outside to get a great view of them... I bet the room looked wonderful this morning. There were a few sales, which was great... I think the one with the tree (between mine, by Toronto artist Kristen Hamilton) was one of them. There are some great photos on the Facebook events page, if you are interested in seeing more.

David Rubel Trio... great performance from these guys. I'm going to watch their website so I can catch them again.
I got some great working photos... not fantastic as photos really, because I'm focusing on certain things
I need to work from. Photographer William Ye was also there... He got some much better shots.
Check them out on his smugmug page.

Oh, and by the way... the winner of last week's draw is Cecile Sheff. I'd like to thank everyone who left a comment. It was brought to my attention that some people were having trouble with the commenting function on the blog, so in light of that I shall be doing this again in the future, but including Facebook, twitter and google+ comments as valid entries. Sorry to anyone who tried to comment and couldn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment