Saturday, April 14, 2012

New Artwork Created at ArtFest

After writing about how great my Artfest experience was, I think I need to post what I created while I was there. Photography of my art usually poses a problem for me... I really need to get myself a good camera and figure out how to light things to avoid the glare. I'll put that on my "to do" list...


Both these pieces were from Jesse Reno's class

The third piece I did from this class I think I inadvertently ruined. I rolled it up to fit it into my suitcase, and even with a week of having very heavy books lying on top, it won't seem to flatten out. Well, lesson learned. It's my least favourite of the bunch anyway. 

These next three pieces are from Erin Faith Allen's class. After two days with Jesse Reno, I found starting very easy and just got right to laying in the background. I think I might have had a problem starting if I'd done this class first... the blank page can sometime stop me before I start.

Acrylic and charcoal on paper. 
Acrylic and collage on paper
Acrylic, image transfer, charcoal and pastel on paper
These classes were probably the most productive workshops I've ever attended. I approach a class as a learning experience, really not expecting to produce anything I'd ever show anyone. My work gets filed away, I move on and sometimes what I've learned shows up in my future pieces. I think these classes have definitively changed the way I will forever approach my canvas.

8 comments:

  1. Love your work, I really like the one with the hands and raven, I took Erin soul portrait class, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, M! I like them all, especially the one with the raven and hands. Glad to see you have a blog now....I must catch up on all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is really beautiful. I too love the hands and the raven. the background colors are stop on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you created in that class. Re the unflattenable lol art - same problem here. I am going to try this approach
    http://marciosart.blogspot.ca/2010/04/stretching-versus-flattening-paper.html I am not sure if it is just for watercolours or will work with acrylics too. I

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pieces are just wonderful, Marianne. I love how you can see the Reno influence, yet you have made them very distinctive from his work, especially the light and shadow on the faces. The collaged piece is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the positive comments... I really appreciate it. @Janine: Let me know if this method works for you... i'll give it a go too. Certainly can't hurt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! We were in all the same classes, with Janine... I can't get mine to flatten either. I put them face down with a kitty condo on top for 2 weeks and that's helped a lot, but still.. :/ Love your work! Keep sharing! (btw, Erin's coming to NY June 9 & 10 to teach a workshop! You should come!!!) xo ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to come out for this... but it's about 9hrs by car, and I just don't think I can do that right now. I'll have to catch the next one. I'll keep an eye on your blog to see what you're up to. Post lots of pictures!!! :)

      Delete